Adult Script Pro Community Forums

The forum is here for legacy reasons. No new posts will be created. User registration is disabled! If you have any questions, please email us or check https://www.adultscriptpro.com for more details!

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-08 03:07:36

discuss4u

Video server specs

Hello, I am in a situation that I might need to really have a separated video server to host the videos only.

Is there any suggestion for the specs of the server? Currently I have about 2800 videos on my site.

Thanks!

#2 2013-10-08 06:23:01

symtab
Administrator
Website

Re: Video server specs

It doesnt really matter how many videos you have, what matters is how many video views you have / day. If your bandwidth is not enough, then you need a separate video server. A 4 or 8 core server, 8gb ram would do it. 7200rpm or even 15000 hdd, or even sas.

Adult Scripts: Adult Script Pro - Adult Search Script
Adult Advertising/Traffic: Plug Rush - EXOClick - PopAds

#3 2013-10-08 12:28:18

discuss4u

Thanks symtab. The situation is that I have unlimited bandwidth.

However, it seems to me that the site starts becoming very slow during peak hours, even after I have used a cdn.

It seems to me that the videos have posted a lot of I/O overhead on the harddisk.

So I have two choices to test it.

1. Get more hdd and have a raid 10 (of course this option will be cheaper)
2. get a separated server for serving videos only.

Which one will you recommend?

Thanks!

#4 2013-10-08 13:29:52

symtab
Administrator
Website

Unlimited bandwidth means you can use as much bandwidth as you want, however it can be 10mbps, 1000mbps, 1gbps or 10gbps. If for example you having 100mbps (most common with dedicated servers), then the server can be slow because you are already using the entire bandwidth. If you know for sure that the I/O is then you need a new server. If the bandwidth is the server, you can just increase the bandwidth. I would always go with option 2 (new server, easier to manage, easier to configure...).

#5 2013-10-08 18:39:28

DuttyRock

symtab wrote:

Unlimited bandwidth means you can use as much bandwidth as you want, however it can be 10mbps, 1000mbps, 1gbps or 10gbps. If for example you having 100mbps (most common with dedicated servers), then the server can be slow because you are already using the entire bandwidth. If you know for sure that the I/O is then you need a new server. If the bandwidth is the server, you can just increase the bandwidth. I would always go with option 2 (new server, easier to manage, easier to configure...).

Good point, had a problem in the past when server gets slow, after hours/days and paying people to check this or that it turns out the host has reduce my speed from 1gig to 100mbps (they lied when i had first asked them).

Since you have unlimited bandwidth they might be messing with your connection speed.

#6 2013-10-15 06:59:51

discuss4u

DuttyRock wrote:
symtab wrote:

Good point, had a problem in the past when server gets slow, after hours/days and paying people to check this or that it turns out the host has reduce my speed from 1gig to 100mbps (they lied when i had first asked them).

Since you have unlimited bandwidth they might be messing with your connection speed.

Thanks, I have not thought of this. I have 1Gbps and my server should consume something like 3-4xxmbps currently. May be I should also check with the server provider first.

Thanks again.

#7 2013-10-25 15:55:31

discuss4u

I have monitor the load of the server again.

First of all, it is a server with an 8 core cpu

What I observed is that the iowait (%wa) fluctuate between 30 to 100% for the first five cores, during peak hours. And the other three are of 0 - 8%. Is it a sign of IO issue causing by streaming?

Thanks!

#8 2013-10-26 08:08:55

symtab
Administrator
Website

Check which processes use the most CPU:
1. If its MySQL you need caching (or a separate server for MySQL).
2. If its httpd (apache) you need a separate server for thumbs/images/js/css or CDN.
3. If its php (this should happen very rare) you need optimization (however there isnt much i can optimize) or php via php-fpm and a distributed php setup.

Another thing, if you see like lighttpd or nginx using a lot of cpu, then the pseudostreaming is causing some problems.

#9 2013-10-26 11:22:48

discuss4u

In face, I have tried to

1. not letting users login/register under mobile mode. In this case I can cache the whole mobile front end using CDN. And it should probably reduce more that half of the connections directly to my server.
2. I have already put all the images, thumbs, js, css on CDN

And the thing is that things like %us is very low, lower than 10% even during peak hours, for all cores. So I am really a bit confuse what is happening now...

#10 2013-10-28 07:05:18

symtab
Administrator
Website

If CPU usage is very low, even during peak hours, then what exactly happens? Is this site slow? You can also check the memory usage. Are the videos buffering?

#11 2013-10-29 09:26:57

discuss4u

By using iotop, I found that nignx worker processes keep using more than 95% of i/o during peak hour.

but what is a bit strange is that the total disk read is something like 2x M/s. The speed of the disk should be a lot faster, 6Gbps I suppose. Even in windows, I should be able to get something like 120 M/s with such speed of disk.

Is this something related to streaming?

Last edited by discuss4u (2013-10-29 09:51:03)

#12 2013-10-29 15:39:26

symtab
Administrator
Website

There are a few factors that influence this:
1. The obvious I/O, if you have a lot of requests this could be the problem.
2. The hard drives contain bugs or are very slow (5400rpm).
3. A bug in nginx (i dont know if this is the problem or not, for example lighttpd has a few problems related to this, thats why we moved to nginx/apache for pseudostreaming).

You can try to use a RTMP server if you want, maybe that will help with the usage (its worth a try, there is a easy howto in our forum).

#13 2013-11-02 03:57:24

discuss4u

just follow
http://forum.adultscriptpro.com/viewtopic.php?id=2452

but it does not work

I have separated the original server to one main server and one video server

The videos are all served on the video server.

after I set everything.

It returns something like
300, Player initialization fail typeerror error #1009

In order to make sure it is not becuase of the firewall, I have disabled it and allow all outside connections in the iptable.

For the time being I am using appache for the video server, it seems that it works a bit better than nginx

Last edited by discuss4u (2013-11-02 05:36:49)

Board footer